The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Excess Roth IRA contributions Date:  3/3/2004  1:50 AM
Author:  brxkic Number:  70315 of 128043

I just looked more closely at Form 5329 Part IV. It looks like I can pay a 6% penalty for the $3000 excess Roth contribution this year, contribute nothing to Roth for tax year 2004, and in essence apply my excess contribution for 2003 to 2004. Am I correct on this? If it is so, is that a better deal than withdrawing the contributions+ earning, or recharacterizing it to a nondeductible traditional IRA (a.k.a. headache)?

<more headaches>
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us