The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Foolish Collective

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/first-great-post-there-is-one-thing-i-would-20602919.aspx

Subject:  Re: Saving in a Nation of Spenders Date:  4/7/2004  11:10 AM
Author:  TMFEldrehad Number:  29938 of 46949

First, great post!

There is one thing I would point out though.

I ran the numbers... If a person saved $30 a month (~$1 per day) at a 4% interest rate, for forty years (from age 25 to age 65), at the end that person would have $35,458.84.

True, if one saved $30 per month nominally. You are not accounting for inflation here though, so that $30 in the first month some 40 years back would be, at 3% average inflation, much closer to $100 in today's dollars. Assuming a nominal 4% interest rate and average 3% inflation rate, that makes the inflation-adjusted return rate only 1%, which means that to get to $35.5K at the end of 40 years one would have to have saved closer to $60 per month in today's dollars to get there. Still, though, your point is the same. $2/day is still less than a lot of us spend at Starbucks on the way into work.

How do we create a nation of Fools?

A good question. I don't know about creating a nation of Fools, but this one Fool was created by watching, and learning from (both via example and by purposeful instruction) my parents.

Teach your children well.

Regards,

Eldrehad

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us