The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Basic Question Date:  5/18/2004  5:17 PM
Author:  dozer183e Number:  41039 of 96819

, basically if you are married and filing jointly, as long as the total AGI is greater than $6000 ($7000 if making catch-up contributions age permitting) you can both fund an IRA.

Good! I thought so, but recently I heard some things oabout a contributor having to have earned income, but I think this was in relation to a traditional IRS, not Roth.

Based on your question, I assume you are referring to tax-advantaged retirement savings. Unfortunately, your options are pretty limited. Unless you can convince your employer to offer something along the lines of a SIMPLE-IRA or 401k, your best option will most likely be a taxable account.

Have you asked your employer about a retirement plan?

Well, this is a potential employer I am interviewing at. I like the company and job, perhaps if I take the job, after I get settled in I can bring up the subject.

At my last job, it took me a year, but I finally convinced my employer to offer a matching program in with their 401(k).

Thanks for the reply

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us