The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Crafty Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/printing-on-fabric-20875905.aspx

Subject:  Printing on Fabric Date:  6/9/2004  2:26 PM
Author:  crazyasitmayseem Number:  2838 of 7361

Hi,

I love this board (though I don't post much) and am hoping you all can help!

I am making a baby quilt with pictures from children's story books on it. I have made two of these in the past using Iron-Ons which I've gotten a copy center to make for me (from the books). The big problem with the Iron-ons is that the colour isn't very bright/strong and they fade badly over time/washings. It's also expensive.

At the local quilt shop they suggested that I can treat the fabric using treatment solutions, freeze 8.5X11 sized pieces of fabric and then run them through my colour ink jet printer (printing from a scanned image of the book).

I'm wondering if any of you have experience making "memory quilts" or printed shirts and have tried this method. Are there any special tips/tricks? My printer isn't the best printer in the world (colour is okay on paper though) - will that be okay?

The quilt shop also runs a service where I can have them print the images onto the fabrics for me. I could do that but I'd love to do it myself.

Also, as a side thought, does this technique work with laser printers? Is the quality better/worse with a laser printer?

Thanks in advance.

~crazy
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us