The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Libertarian Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/how-is-this-for-a-plan-i-shall-move-from-20973783.aspx

Subject:  Re: Yes Virginia, there is a Sabbath Date:  7/2/2004  11:20 AM
Author:  InkJetLabel Number:  9308 of 23810

How is this for a plan?

I shall move from Connecticut to Virginia.

I shall get a job.

I shall then start a religion that worships Odin, the big kahoona of Norse gods. And we all know that Wednesday is derived from "Woden's Day," (Woden being an alternate spelling Odin) so that will, of course, necessarily be my high holy day.

I will therefore demand every Wednesday off to wear a funky helmet with cool horns, a fur cape and to sit around the house drinking mead. Or, possibly to get a really good tee time. I think I should build a bit flexibility into my faith, don't you?

Should Virginia (or my employer) cry out that only Saturday and Sunday are legitimate days of worship, I shall bring a lawsuit for an untold sum that my religious rights are being violated under the establishment of religion clause, and that as a practitioner of a minority faith not only am I unable to practice my faith, I am also being discriminated against, as it is hardly the business of the state to reward one religion over another.

Given the rather odd judgments that our courts render in this day and age, it would not surprise that I would win, and win big.

IJL, $$$ flashing before his eyes
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us