The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/im-of-the-kiss-school-if-i-spend-5000-to-save-20981286.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tax tip? Date:  7/4/2004  11:27 PM
Author:  Foolferlove Number:  72424 of 131228

I'm of the KISS school. If I spend $5,000 to save $2,000 in taxes, I'm out $3,000 that could have been invested elsewhere. If I spend $5,000 to have a $5,000 lower basis in a share purchase, I'm still out $5,000 that could have been working elsewhere.

For the time being I'm going to stick with "There may be good reasons to pay a load, but tax savings isn't one of them."

Absolutely! I wouldn't think you would INTENTIONALLY pay a load in order to try to get some tax savings. But there ARE a few misguided people out there that have been convinced that paying nearly 6% for a load fund buys them a better fund. So once the payment of a load is assumed to be a given, then a sale for a loss "gets you back" a portion of that load. But I agree wholeheartedly that it would be idiotic to pay a load when you didn't have to simply to get some tax savings. That's stupid. :) Heck, give ME $5000, and I'll turn right around and give you $4500...MUCH better deal than the IRS!

No-load, tax-efficient, low turnover index funds...that's the way to go. ;)
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us