The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Crafty Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-also-know-that-there-is-no-shame-in-admitting-21060380.aspx

Subject:  Re: Go the Craft Bug back!! Date:  7/23/2004  3:13 PM
Author:  AlisonWonderland Number:  3049 of 7388

I also know that there is no shame in admitting you just don't like a craft,

Indeed. Some years ago, I tried smocking. I figured since I'd done needlepoint, crewel, cross-stitch and assorted hand-sewing, it'd be a natural.

The first day of the class, the owner/teacher said "some of you will love smocking, and some of you will hate it."

I hated it. I made a lovely dress for my daughter which took hours and hours to hem since there was so much material. Took a picture of it the first time she wore it -- which was to school. She came home with ketchup and red markers on the front of it. Not making her anything like that again.

I realized that if I wanted to have something smocked for myself, it would either have volumes of material (which is not a flattering look for me) or do something with a smocked insert. That would mean figuring out how much space was desired, then extrapolate that into the size that would accommodate the pleating, do the pleating, do the smocking and still have to make the <bleeping> dress.

Nunt unh. If I want a dress with some such decoration, I'll make the dress and use waste canvas to cross-stitch a design or do some freehand embroidery.

No more smocking for me -- although I can certainly admire it.

~~ Alison
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us