The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Sports / Olympic Games

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/what-a-sham-i-hope-paul-hamm-understands-the-21206669.aspx

Subject:  Re: Gymnastics Judging Date:  8/24/2004  12:08 AM
Author:  moonvine Number:  527 of 1785

What a sham. I hope Paul Hamm understands the crowd was not booing him, but at the horrible judging in tonight's event.

I don't think anyone could have mistaken that for what it was. I've NEVER, ever seen anything like that, and I've been watching gymnastics since Montreal and Nadia when I was 10. This has always been one of my favorite sports to watch and I've seen some crowds upset over some scores, but never this kind of prolonged response, much less the president of the FIG come out and confer with the judges during the middle of an event. The crowd's response was even more incredible to me given that it was a Russian athlete, not a Greek athlete, so it isn't as if they were partisan. (Alexei Nemov did show a LOT of class. Very impressive). Nor have I ever heard the commentators making such strong statements as they did tonight - sometimes they will say that was a little high or a little low, but they were throwing words around like "inexcusable" tonight. I think some changes really, really need to be made, and soon.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us