The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: W2 or 1099 Date:  9/29/2004  1:31 AM
Author:  SecrtAgent Number:  73494 of 129380

I work short assignments at hospitals.
Often, they DO NOT want me to be their "employee", as this means
a. they are legally responsible for my actions
b. various headaches such as with-holding, FICA contributions,etc.
c. including me in certain benefits (health, etc) other employees receive

So they simply give me a "Form 1099", upon completion of the assignment, which lists the agreed upon payment; e.g., if it is $100/hour, and I work 10 hours, it is for $1,000.
Period. No dedcutions, etc.
Simpler, and less paperwork, accounting, and liability on their part.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us