The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/marlaf-you-need-to-check-with-a-local-heating-21526311.aspx

Subject:  Re: asbestos ceilings with radiant heat? Date:  10/30/2004  6:43 AM
Author:  JeffreyDB Number:  57663 of 140127

Marlaf,

You need to check with a local heating contractor that understands radiant ceiling heat.

Chances are that the home does not have asbestos in the popcorn.

Back in the mid 60's and early 70's when electric heat was becoming popular, (Flameless Electric Heat, My dad sold it :); THere were baseboard electric and the new ceiling radiant.

The ceiling application was in new, well insulated construction. The heat tape was applied to the ceiling with the expectation that the normal convection of air thru the room would give an acceptable temperature thu-out.

Since your body "feels" heat the most at your head, you are warm.

Now, back to the asbestos.

Why do I say your ceiling popcorn is not asbestos?

Think about this:

Asbestos is a great insulator. Used on heating pipes for steam systems where there are very high temperatures. If you touch the asbestos on a hot system, you do not get burned.

Now why would you put heat cable on a ceiling and then cover it with asbestos? Very little , if any, heat would get thru!

Of course, just my opinion!

Your best resource may be the local electric utility. Dad worked for them when selling the heat systems

HTH

JeffreyDB

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us