The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-was-speaking-about-the-scholars-in-semitic-21535223.aspx

Subject:  Re: Paul Has Been Suspended Date:  11/1/2004  1:42 PM
Author:  ghdude Number:  628107 of 2304388

I was speaking about the scholars in Semitic Studies at Hebrew University.

Ok then. Were they really saying that modern Jews and modern Arabs are closely related genetically, or culturally (and in turn by their language.)

Wrong. It si assumed that a 'protosemitic' language evolved into the different Semitic subbranches (East-Semitic, South-West Semitic and North-West Semitic).

That doesn't make any sense. Aramaic wasn't spoken until much after Hebrew and it mostly replaed hebrew as the language spoken by the Israelites. Further, Aramaic was replaced by Arabic which evolved much after both of the others.

BTW Did you know there are still small pockets of people that speak Aramaic today? I was just reading about this group that is working to preserve these dying languages. Apparently there are thousands of dialects, mostly in the old Soviet region and in China that are hanging on by just a few people. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting. Seems kinda like finding someone who still speaks Latin as their first language.

Derek
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us