The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/oh-please-derek-what-language-do-you-think-was-21535461.aspx

Subject:  Re: Paul Has Been Suspended Date:  11/1/2004  2:15 PM
Author:  ghdude Number:  628152 of 2304009

Oh please, Derek. What language do you think was spoken in Babylon during the exile?

Aramaic. But they spoke Hebrew before that. I'm not trying to be difficult. I just don't understand your point.

Syriac, an Aramaic language was replaced by Arabic after the conquist, so far you're right. But do you really think some day in the sixth century A.D. people began to speak Arabic? The queen of Saba, what language do you think she was speaking? South Arabian. Duh.

No. I know it takes time usually.

The biggest group of Aramaic speakers today is living - you guess it - in Detroit. There are some smaller groups in Belgium, Germany (Augsburg has a small community). You can still find some small communities in Syria (Ma'alula) and larger ones in Iraq (lake Urmia). We just bought two newly published descriptive studies on the Jewish Aramaic dialects of Irbil and another town in Iraqi Kurdistan.

Wow!

And yes, there are hundreds of dialects.

BTW, I don't think there are still Aramaic speakers in China. Nevertheless, in the seventh century, Aramaic-speaking Christian missionaries reached China. Some Chinese-Aramaic bilingue inscriptions still exist.

That's a heck of a hike. :)

Derek

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us