The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Who Do you Trust? Date:  11/8/2004  1:12 AM
Author:  2old4bs Number:  43005 of 105350

Do we need to bring in a money manager? Financial Advisor? How do we find out who can get this portfolio turned around? And would that manager or advisor be from OUTSIDE her particular brokerage firm, or within?

Hi Surfmermaid (and Mom). Welcome to the board!

In my opinion (IMO), what you need is a 'fee-based' financial advisor. That is a financial advisor who will charge you a fee for their advice/time/services. Their services might include formulating a plan for your mom. Fee-based advisors have no vested interest in 'selling' you anything, or convincing you to buy something that they earn money on (transparent to you), and you are not paying fees for the 'privilege' of parking your money with them.

Such an advisor will most certainly be OUTSIDE her particular brokerage firm. They will also NOT be affiliated with any other brokerage firm! or American Express! Or sitting behind a special desk at your local bank! Please, do not listen to any of those 'advisors'.

As to exactly how to find one, I don't know. :-(

But I'm sure there are smarter folks than me who will respond to your post and advise you how to do so.


Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us