The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: What to do with a losing IRA Date:  11/26/2004  5:14 PM
Author:  3muttsmom Number:  43283 of 93634

Roll what is left into a different IRA account (either my wife's or a new one for myself).

You can't "roll" your IRA into your wife's. Your money is yours and hers is hers. Now, you CAN withdraw the funds and use them for her contribution, but that will reduce her ability to contribute by that amount for the year. Max contribution to each account is $3,000, no matter where the funds come from.

That said, if your wife's investment has outperformed yours, maybe you should move your funds into the same investment (retaining the funds in your own IRA).

Just a thought.

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us