The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/but-i-think-its-a-fairly-safe-bet-to-say-that-22041907.aspx

Subject:  Re: Finding a good financial planner Date:  2/9/2005  2:06 PM
Author:  rookieJoe Number:  44440 of 94571

But I think it's a fairly safe bet to say that the bear market isn't over right now...

Based on PEs and other stats I agree that is a strong likelihood. But I wouldn't call it a "safe” bet (I guess it depends on what the definition of the word “safe” is).

A popular quote is “Never treat the likely as certain, or the unlikely as impossible.”

For example, there are a lot of pressures on the US economy and the dollar (google for the current accounts deficit for more info – its not the same as the budget deficit). If the fed loses control of those challenges, a swift substantial decline in the dollar, followed by high inflation is a real possibility.

Do I think it will happen? No.
Do I think the risk of happening is low enough one should ignore it? No.

Owning equities (stocks) is a good hedge against inflation. Owning foreign equities is a good hedge against declines in the dollar.

That's why they say “diversification always works –sometimes you like the results and sometimes you don't.”

-Joe
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us