The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/olivesforpants-quotto-answer-your-question-jlp-22048452.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth IRA Earnings & Education Distribution Date:  2/10/2005  4:06 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  44471 of 94936

olivesforpants: "To answer your question JLP, I'm 27. I'm getting married this July and I'm exploring ways to pay down my future wife's grad school loans (approx $150k by 2010). The idea of completely untaxed earnings seemed too good to be true and it looks like it is."

You are switching horses in mid-stream, and probably do not even realize it.

Your OP stated: {{{My question concerns early Roth IRA distributions to be used for education expenses. Can only my contributions be withdrawn tax and penalty-free or can I withdraw the EARNINGS as well tax and penalty-free.}}}

I strongly suspect that everyone who responded previously understood "educational expenses" to mean current payments for education, and responded accordingly.

IIRC, repayment of student loans is not "education expenses" for purposes of allowed use of IRA funds.

Regards, JAFO

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us