The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/diat-wrote-i-have-a-scottrade-roth-ira-account-22140557.aspx

Subject:  Re: Dumb Question Date:  3/1/2005  4:09 PM
Author:  wcfenton Number:  44940 of 96377

Diat wrote:

I have a Scottrade Roth IRA account and I usually dump money into it once a month. My entire RIRA contains cash and Vanguard S&P 500 (VFINX). I don't always go ahead and buy VFINX as soon as the money posts. The last time I bought was Spetember 27, 2004. I didn't see any extra fees with the tranaction. This evening, I was going to put in an order today for $500 worth to be bought tomorrow, until I saw a tranaction fee of $17. This really threw me off and I didn't buy the stock. Has VFINX started charging tranaction fees everywhere (at other brokerages) or did I do something wrong? Any else run into this?
-------------------

The short answer is - No, (VFINX) or Vanguard, has not started charging anything for the purchase of their funds. However, ScotTrade has started charging "Transaction Fees" ($17.00 - buy/sell/transfer) for several fund companies beginning the first of this year (2005) and Vanguard is one of the companies they are charging this fee for. They publish a list of the fund companies that they "DO NOT" charge a fee for (NTF), however, either they do not publish a similar list of those they charge for or they have hidden well within their site.

Regards,
Bill

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us