The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltyou-represent-yourself-as-a-scientifically-22201171.aspx

Subject:  Re: Religionists miss the scale of things Date:  3/13/2005  9:19 PM
Author:  madmikeyd Number:  143682 of 519727

<You represent yourself as a scientifically fluent theist. I would like to hear why.>

I am not sure exactly what you are asking here, but I will take a stab at a concise answer.

Speaking as a specifically Christian theist, almost all conflicts with science and religion are a result of a literal interpretation of the Bible. As someone who follows the more traditional interpretational method, of assuming that something in scripture must be allegory should it conflict with scientific observation, I am not, for example, encumbered by the idea that God created the world in six 24-hour days, or that evolution is incompatible with scripture. My take on creation becomes, then, the idea that God created the universe out of nothingness 14.3 billion or so years ago - an idea which is not in any way proven by, but is compatible with the scientific evidence [ie, the idea of the 'Elegant Universe']. Where my view becomes unreasonable from the atheist point of view is that I see room for the miraculous - but assuming for the moment the existence of God, it strikes me that God would be able to influence matter on the subatomic level, and that the 'hand of God' could ultimately be seen in the seemingly random world of quantum mechanics.

Hopefully that is as clear as mud 8-).

Cheers,
madmikeyd
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us