The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-was-thinking-a-course-in-financial-planning-22220770.aspx

Subject:  Re: over half of retirees plan poorly Date:  3/17/2005  10:34 AM
Author:  foolkath Number:  823 of 1917

I was thinking: A course in financial planning should be a mandatory class before graduating high school.

I had a dad who encouraged me to save. I am trying to do the same for my children who are 19 and 21. I find they are having a hard time finding a job that will offer them a 401k plan while they are still full time students. The jobs that pay them well are listing them as temporary employees. So, I encourage them to fund their Roth IRAs.

I found the "Fool" 5 yrs. before retiring. I took their retirement workshops and was always working with the retirement calculators.

I did well in planning for my retirement. But things have not been exactly what I planned for. Who knew interest rates would be so low? I had 4 yrs. college tuition planned for my son. But college costs were much higher then projected. Health insurance is higher. And the cost of my dream condo for retirement was 3 times the cost then it was a year before my retirement. So I adjusted my plans.

If I had not planned at all, I could not have been successful. I have accomplished much of my plans for retirement, but have had to make adjustments. And I'm sure I will make many more during my retirement years.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us