The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: I blew it Date:  3/19/2005  11:56 AM
Author:  hjg0989 Number:  45182 of 96819


I screwed up my partner's taxes last year. I called the IRS and she asked me if I had by chance used TurboTax ! When I said yes, she said to use the 1040x from TurboTax. It filled out most of the form for me, I just had to enter my error.

My error was that I entered the W2 information wrong. Instead of selecting contribtution for a tax deferred retirement plan I selected untaxed tip income. Oops.

So one suggestion is to buy TurboTax, enter her taxes error and all, then use the 1040x form to correct the problem.

I really like using TurboTax. I think the hard part of doing taxes is getting all the information together, especially during years that I've sold stock. Also, by the time I finish doing our taxes I am totally in the mood to see where all our after tax money went. So I track my spending by category then project a budget for the next year and up our savings accordingly. I'm not sure if I would do that if I sent the taxes in for someone else to do them for us.

Best regards,


Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us