The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/quotso-this-year-i-decided-to-take-a-vacation-22258864.aspx

Subject:  Re: Take your vacation at home Date:  3/24/2005  4:58 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  834 of 1935

"So this year I decided to take a vacation from retirement. But instead of going "away" I decided to take that budgeted money and see the things in my own area that I never experienced.

Of course, many of these activities were the expensive ones that I avoided while living frugally.

So, instead of going somewhere different. I decided to spend the money on my own area. I went to the chamber of commerce and picked up the booklet"101 things to do in this area". I cannot believe the places I did not know even existed."

Many folks live in a city or near one, and never get to see even 1/4 of what is there. If you live near Washington DC, you can spend weeks seeing the various things around DC, many of them free or dirt cheap.

Same for NYC - hundreds of things to do, from riding the Staten Island ferry (very cheap) to Central Park, to museums, bookstores, historical places, Statue of Liberty, UN building, etc.

I suspect the same for Baltimore and Boston and Chicago.

I live in Dallas, and have yet to see everything in Dallas and Ft. Worth....

Also places around here where you can rent a sailboat for a few hours, or ride a real restored railroad, etc. Within a few hours drive, even more things to do and see.

Or, another idea is to visit a friend in their city, and check out all the things....they know the ropes of how to get around. If y'all are retired, and their retired, then time is usually not a problem.

t.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us