The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Strategies / It's Earnings That Count

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/deadspace-you-are-welcome-and-glad-that-you-22601605.aspx

Subject:  Re: Marine Products: Forging A Staircase Date:  6/9/2005  10:21 PM
Author:  hheiserman Number:  367 of 1817

Deadspace -

You are welcome.

And glad that you added some of the concepts from my book to your spreadsheet. I borrowed from others when I built my spreadsheet.

If you work at it, the quantitative, or spreadsheet, aspect of this business can be mastered. But answering the "how long" question (as in "how long will this company's competitive advantage remain intact")...well, that is is the toughie.

Since you mentioned Warren Buffett, here's a story that sheds some light on this man's character: At the repeated prodding of a friend, I sent Mr. B a copy of my manuscript and asked if he would endorse the book. I did not want to bother him, because I figured he must get deluged with requests. But, mail the manuscript I did.

Now, here is where Mr. Buffett shines. Within 10 days he sends me a note thanking me for the opportunity, but that he gets 8-10 similar requests every day. If he said "yes" to me, then he would feel obliged to say "yes" to everyone else.

Warren Buffett has many admirable traits, not the least of which is good manners.

And yes, as you point out, he does the defensive/enterprising calculations in his head.

Hewitt

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us