The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Kua`aina Partners

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/thank-you-22608998.aspx

Subject:  Thank you... Date:  6/11/2005  10:21 PM
Author:  comptche Number:  19528 of 26232

Thank you all for your good wishes and prayers.

My father's life ended today after a valient stuggle by a very strong man who wanted to live a little longer than 93 years... His body was strong, but his heart just couldn't overcome all of the pressure from his operation.

He was a very special person who will be very missed by all of us in his family and all of his students who are now old policemen. Most of his friends have already gone before him. His older and closest brother of 98 remains to remember all the the escapades they got themselves into. It seems that the airplane that they built together as young boys really didn't fly all the way from Massachusetts to California as I thought it did. The only engine that they could afford was a motorcycle engine so the plane could only travel on the ground around the runway. My father, being the younger one, used to drive it around with its tail dragging on the ground. Someone gave him a tip of putting a wheel on the back and then he really did it in flipping it all over the place and ruining the latest improvements and the recent paint job. He had to hide from his brother quite a while after that one... Seems that the motocycle engine was put back into the motorcycle and that's how my Daddy got out to California just before the great depression...

It is a special priviledge to be a daughter to a man who stayed strong in body and mind throughout his life. He was respected and loved by many people in his many careers: manufacturing aircraft for World War II under camoflage in San Diego; working as a policeman during that same war and running a live-in station in La Jolla and Pacific Beach as a lieutenant; organizing and hosting an informational TV program called "Information Police" on which I sometimes appeared; teaching Police Sciences in Junior College and writing two books so he could do that job better; holding many positions of leadership in his square dance group, his RV group, the Elks, etc...

Just before his recent run-in with the scalpel Daddy and his wife, 89 years old, had driven to Reno and gambled a bit bringing home some rather substantial winnings. He was still golfing occasionally and bowling once a week even though his game was not up to his standards. He was able to rally his health enough to have some fun with my brother and I as we played guessing games to ask the right question so he could nod yes or no for us. We found things to bring a smile to his face and a twinkle to his eye. We even found things that made him wince and show his displeasure or disbelief. We had a little time with him before he became too weak to open his eyes again and that was very special to all of us who loved him very much...

Anne
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us