The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Strategies / It's Earnings That Count

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/valuation-question-22662472.aspx

Subject:  valuation question Date:  6/24/2005  9:42 AM
Author:  ihavequestions Number:  394 of 1817

First let me say I am a new and unlearned investor with many questions, so bear with me! I appreciate the input on these boards so much b/c it helps me learn. Over the past year I have been reading books like Hewitt Heiserman's ETC, Intelligent Investor, Morningstar books, & Fool products to try to learn. One area that I sort of understand the principles of, but need much more study in is valuation. I would appreciate any thoughts on this question: recently Mr. Heiserman, a very astute investor, posted a list of upper-right box companies with attractive prices. However, Morningstar, which I think is generally considered a good source rates only 4 of the 14 companies as below intrinsic value. It rates 4 of them at value. It rates 4 above value & does not rate 2. Please hear me: I am not saying one is right, I have no ability to make that judgment. Rather my question is: can anyone help me understand the discrepancies you see in value between reputable sources & any possible solutions. Thanks-

Cory
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us