The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks B / Berkshire Hathaway

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-think-that-buffett-achieved-returns-way-north-of-22749396.aspx

Subject:  Re: Buffett/Jayhawk Q&A Date:  7/14/2005  4:32 PM
Author:  bsmeal Number:  106415 of 254224

I think that Buffett achieved returns way north of 50% from around 1951-1955. I recall seeing someone break it down here on a thread a while back. I don't have access to "The Making of an American Capitalist" right now, but I think you can pretty much back it out from that. Buffett went from around a $10,000 net worth in 1951 to something like $160,000 in 1955, without earning much more than $10,000 at any point. That implies a pretty hefty return.

I recall in the book there are a few pages describing those years. Buffett was pretty eager and brash in the Graham-Newman days. He was going nuts that Graham was too conservative (one of those times he had "more ideas than money") and did a lot of trading in his private account. Lots of stuff like the cocoa-bean arbitrage that is mentioned in the book and also by Buffett himself in the recently posted U of F talk. He probably couldn't put too much to work there, but it was basically a risk-free arbitrage that provided ridiculous annualized returns.

Ben
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us