The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/this-test-doesnt-apply-if-hes-under-24-and-was-22805861.aspx

Subject:  Re: I need your review and ideas Date:  7/27/2005  1:42 PM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  80121 of 132493

This test doesn't apply if he's under 24 and was a full-time student in at least five calendar months of the year, so for most grads it can be ignored in the year of graduation.

I went through this a couple of years ago with my daughter and didn't take her as a dependent because of timing - her last semester bill had to be paid the prior Dec and she had a significant stipend along with a good job once she finished. We really didn't meet the support tests.

In this case, he's at a very expensive college and no slamdunk job prospects - at least at the moment so unless something changes significantly, I think he'll be our dependent for 06(we usually give the kids whatever tax money they paid until they are no longer a dependent). Dental insurance is irrelevant since the orthodontic benefit from this one was used long ago(there's a lifetime limit).

I'm starting to look at the medical insurance available to him and there are some reasonable possibilities I'll point out to him. On the flex account, I need to check the paperwork but IIRC, it can be used for a grace period after he graduates - maybe a quarter. If we plan the timing right, I could be billed and pay whatever works from that account(we usually fall around the 31% tax bracket with about 5% state tax). (Orthodontics will bill pretty much however you want - up front or monthly.)

I really appreciate the posts - I know this is a weird one.

rad
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us