The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Paying Back Student Loans

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/if-youve-still-got-a-30000-zero-balance-22841093.aspx

Subject:  Re: My two words for today re: student loans Date:  8/4/2005  10:10 AM
Author:  xraymd Number:  3911 of 4855

If you've still got a $30,000 Zero Balance transfer out there, isn't it more appropriate to say that: while you may no longer have a bona fide "student loan", you still do have student loan debt?

Greetings, W505a, indeed I do consider that I have a form of student loan debt yet BUT I no longer owe it to Direct Loans! And what I am doing over the next year is saving like crazy to be able to pay of that $30K before a penny of interest is generated on it. I am banking the bulk of those savings to EARN interest while paying a smidge above the minimum each cycle to the credit card balance. Then, all at once next May, I am going to slam down the entire elephantine balance remaining on the card at once, bringing it to a zero balance with dizzying speed and THAT will be the true denouement. The great fun here is that over the next year I will actually be EARNING interest on the balance that I would otherwise have had to PAY interest on.

What lets me sleep at night over this are two facts: 1) I have disability insurance in case of a catastrophe, which is designed to replace the bulk of my income should there be a disruption, heaven forfend. And 2) I am willing to pull that $30K out of my retirement savings if I must, since I have had a Roth for over 5 years with my own contributions sufficient to tap if it came to that.

But say it won't (I've done this twice before, once with swatting down $30K onto the student loan a couple of years ago and another time last year to cover the downpayment on my house which was then paid off over the ensuing 12 months - not the mortgage, just the downpayment!). If all goes according to plan, then next June I will be left with only my mortgage as debt and am researching whether I want to accelerate payments on it, or to boost savings instead. This falls in the category of a good problem to have!

xraymd
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us