The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 401(k) acceleration Date:  8/4/2005  1:18 PM
Author:  phantomdiver Number:  80246 of 132125

Yes you can do it. BUT - you may very well contribute/defer more than is allowed, and have part of it refunded back to you early in the following year.

If you can defer $16,000, you must be in the highly-compensated group.

From what I understand, Uncle Sam sets the dollar limits and different companies may set percentage limits as they like. I'm putting $14,000 into my 401(k) this year, which is more than 20% of my salary. My company took away the percentage requirement a while back and anybody can contribute up to the max.

Anyway, next year I turn 50, and the max for me will be $20,000, I think. What I'm wondering is that if it's okay to do that if I'm at the company for less than a full year.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us