The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Energy Discussions and Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/profitable-at-30-a-barrel-35-to-1-recovery-to-23038961.aspx

Subject:  Re: Shell begins near-commercial shale productio Date:  9/16/2005  9:10 AM
Author:  Pituophis Number:  363 of 492

Profitable at $30 a barrel. 3.5 to 1 recovery to energy input ratio.

I sincerely doubt it.

This is clearly a PR release by Shell. I am skeptical about all of it.

On one small test plot about 20 feet by 35 feet, on land Shell owns, they started heating the rock in early 2004. "Product" - about one-third natural gas, two-thirds light crude - began to appear in September 2004. They turned the heaters off about a month ago, after harvesting about 1,500 barrels of oil.

"20 feet by 35 feet..." Is that the size of the shaft? Certainly they obliterated 10 times that much land just getting the trucks in to install the equipment and haul it out. Let's see, they began in early 2004 and ended a month ago - an 18 month project that produced 1500 barrels and it's profitable at $30/barrel??? Gross proceeds would be $105K at $70/barrel - Shell pays one guy to sit and twiddle his thumbs more than $105K in 18 months. And where do they drill (dig?) the next "shaft"? 20 feet away...OR is this test shaft a miniature of a 20 X 30 km "shaft" ie. "PIT" that would supposedly produce oil profitable at $30/barrel? I would like to see some scientific evidence of any of this. I'm sure it doesn't exist. I don't believe any of it. And they should be totally concentrating on solar and wind.

The future in not to let some multinational conglomerate keep us sucking on their hind tit, the future is for each of us to become energy independent. We've had the basic technology to do so for over 50 years - people like Shell have prevented it from happening and they will continue to try to do so.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us