The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/greetings-bleplatt-i-am-in-the-process-of-trying-23171540.aspx

Subject:  Re: ING referrals Date:  10/16/2005  11:06 AM
Author:  xraymd Number:  212630 of 312992

Greetings, bleplatt, I am in the process of trying to open an Emigrant account (it is taking a surprisingly long time - the last step is a snail mail step and I've been waiting over a week now to get that mail to truly access my account). Is your Emigrant account open for use yet? How long did it take?

So I can't answer you yet about Emigrant and subaccounts, nor can I answer you about closing ING. I know that for NEW ING accounts, one must deposit at least $250 to earn the $25 bonus - it's still possible to deposit less but then no bonus would be given - but I don't know that there is (at this point) any MINIMUM balance one must maintain on ING to avoid fees. So I don't actually plan to close my ING account even though I hope to keep the bulk of my funds at Emigrant. The difference between 3.4% at ING and 4.0% at Emigrant does have an impact at the balances I've been maintaining. But on small deposits, the difference becomes much more negligible. (For instance, the difference between $250 on deposit at 4% at Emigrant for a year and $275 because of the bonus on deposit at 3.4% at ING for a year is about 65 cents over 12 months.)

So I'll be waiting for someone with enough experience to answer your questions but my answer is that so long as ING does not force a minimum balance upon me, I will keep that account open because it works so well to date. I just may not keep very much in it!

xraymd
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us