The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / The Feste Award

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/nomination-buildmwell-23348824.aspx

Subject:  Nomination: BuildMWell Date:  11/27/2005  12:56 AM
Author:  RaptorD Number:  2464 of 4296

Hi Fools,

Not too many Fools have a board named after them. Not too many of us have developed a complete and unique way to view everything economic under the sun. Precious few of us get to the point where we can live from our investing success. Not very many of us have a national conference that bears our name. You would think it might go to his or her head when one of us does accomplish all of the above. Not so with BMW. BMW--That's how so many of us have come to know 5-year Fool BuildMWell. While his posts are always confident and unfailingly knowledgeable, they are also prefaced with statements of humility. In fact, Jim is, in the end, humble to the max. It took me months after discovering the board and the BMW Method of investing to even learn his real name and that was only due to another Fool's “slip of the keys.” <whisper> . . . Jim Schout is the Fool of the hour, the day, and all of 2005, a Fool in every sense of the word (The capital-F version, of course.)

Jim's grasp of large and small-scale economics is incredible, and extends as far as the imagination. Jim has used his BMW Method to view everything financial, be it current trends or historic economics. Certainly no one else I have ever read, met, or discussed our economic system with has a better overall sense of why the myriad segments of our economy move as they do. His knowledge of historic and current economic waves and their causes is truly incredible and fast becoming Foolish legend. A short but otherwise typical example follows, regarding auto manufacturers & unions: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23292491

BMW finds it very difficult to give his opinions in a manner which does not preclude influencing others to buy or sell shares of any particular company, something he absolutely loathes doing despite his wonderful investing success. This is evidenced in scores of posts by BMW, as it is in the last paragraph in this post: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23241552. Jim is like a great teacher, in that he wouldn't mind sharing his view of answers to tough questions (which companies to invest in, many of us have often wondered!) but he wants us to figure out the answer for ourselves, and make the experience we take from the process our own, for our future use in building our own strategies and methods using his wonderful tools.

One of the things that I, and I am sure many other Fools, especially appreciate about BMW is his love for, and strong faith in, the American system of capitalism. When others see gloom and doom on the horizon Jim sees not only hope but bright economic weather in the forecast. Since his vision is always backed by sound and original logic, it has become a similar trend of thinking for Fools who follow Jim's intertwined web of posts at the Fool, and please be assured that is a lot of Foolish compatriots. Please check out Jim's view of the future of capitalism: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22757673

So if you think we're in for a rough economy, a sideways market, or a negative market slide, take a walk with BMW through his posts, recent and historic, for a more original, thought-provoking view. I think you just might change your own view of the future of our markets, and I am very confident that you will quickly know that you are reading the thoughts of one very intelligent Fool whose goal is not to become wealthy, but to share his methods of success with his fellow Fools and to teach each of us how to fish for our own future using tools he invented. What more could you want in a fellow Fool? What more could you want from a good friend? Finally, is there a difference?

I am constantly discovering enlightenment at the Foolish Castle on the hill, my way led by the wise and generous Foolish. Fools like BMW. Fools like you. Today I would like to thank you all, and I would especially like to thank Jim Schout, who you know (or should know) as BMW, BuildMwell, or just plain Friend.

People outside the Fools' community (both of them) don't understand what it means to be truly Foolish. Now that we have a picture of BMW from the BMW conference, it will surely come to be found In the Foolish Encyclopedia under all the points that describe what it means to be a “Fool.”

So BMW, a 21-Balloon Foolish Salute to you! Many Fools would like to thank you. Today I am honored to speak for them, so Jim, “Thank You!” Thank you for sharing your many inventions, your strategies, your investing experiences and most of all thank you for sharing the Vision.

Dan, Beamers and Fools Around the Globe
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us