The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/the-4000-is-a-one-time-fee-then-you-can-meet-23368384.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Plan - Which Way To Go? Date:  12/1/2005  1:11 PM
Author:  Watty56 Number:  48548 of 96099

The $4,000 is a one-time fee. Then you can meet with them annually or whenever for a couple hundred dollars to assess and adjust.

I think that $4,000 is a lot of money. But my problem is that I now have a portfolio that consists of more than 80 different stocks and funds

If that is 1% of the money then it sounds worthwhile to me because you are coming up on the tax year-end and it is very possible that having a good professional get the timing of any tax related issues right might actually save you more than the fee. For example many mutual funds will have a taxable capital gins distribution sometime in December and getting the buying or selling timed just right can make a big difference that could save you money. The same goes with the year-end timing of stocks with a capital gains or losses.

It sounds like you have found someone that you like and can work with and even if you could get the same advice elsewhere cheaper then the worst case is that you made a one time 1% less than optimal choice which in the cosmic scheme of things is things is still doing pretty good. The real problem would be if you got a bad or indifferent advisor that could cost you big bucks over the long term.

Greg

P.S. If anyone tries to sell you an annuity it should be a red flag that they may not be looking out for your interests. They are almost (but not always) a bad choice because of high (sometimes hidden) fees and often below average performance, which just happens to pay the salesperson a large commission.

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us