The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/there-are-definitely-lots-of-different-opinions--23368825.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Plan - Which Way To Go? Date:  12/1/2005  2:12 PM
Author:  goodnewsonly Number:  48553 of 96185

There are definitely lots of different opinions :)

Unless your are ready to tackle things like the survivor benefit-compared to a term policy, and how the retirement fits in...

Yes, these are things we need to tackle at some point. Not immediately, but in 2-3 years or so. DH is a Fed, and there are various decisions we will need to make, and those decisions need to be considered in light of other factors. We are definitely not interested in buying any annuities, although we do have one that was given to my DH by his father about 10 years ago.

The following is the allocation of my new/inherited portfolio. I don't have the foggiest idea if this is a good allocation for me.

Money Market - 2.85%

Equity
Closed End Mutual Funds - 8.45%
Open End Mutual Funds - 48.53%
Stocks - 30.63%
Equity Total - 87.61%

Fixed Income
Closed End Mutual Funds - 5.52%
Preferred Securities - 4.02%
Fixed Income Total - 9.55%

Total Assets - 100.00%

I already have a list of some of the stocks I know I want to keep and maybe a couple of the funds. The stocks I am interested in keeping are AXP, AMGN, C, HD, JNJ, and WMT. Plus, the portfolio includes some other stocks that I already have, so I will keep these as well (GE, INTC, MSFT, SBUX). For the remaining stocks and funds, I just have no idea.

I get a headache just thinking about it :)
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us