The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ummmm-what-does-op-stand-for-please-i-am-still-23374671.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Plan - Which Way To Go? Date:  12/2/2005  2:42 PM
Author:  goodnewsonly Number:  48581 of 96097

Ummmm, what does OP stand for please?

I am still trying to figure out what it is that I need exactly. I'm not sure that I need a $4,000 plan. We have lifetime health and long-term care insurance through the federal government, so unless something goes amiss there, we don't have to deal with those issues. We don't need estate planning, since we have dealt with that.

We do have questions re: (1) life insurance vs. a survivor annuity and (2) what to do with our TSP funds when my DH retires. So while it would be good to get some recommendations on these issues, we don't need the answers TODAY. Certainly, there are always tax issues.

So what it maybe boils down to is that I need someone to look at these 30 funds that I now have and advise if I should keep, sell, and/or purchase other things that are more suitable to my situation. I don't feel confident that I can do this myself. I will meet with my broker and see what he has to say, but I am leery of broker recommendations for the very reasons mentioned above.

It doesn't seem that the fee-based advisor will make specific recommendations unless I enroll in the investment management service, where they would construct and manage a portfolio for me. When I asked about hourly consultation to help us with the life insurance and TSP questions, she said that these needed to be addressed within the totality of our financial situation (i.e., the financial plan).

So how to proceed from here? I'm just not sure yet.

The comments here have been enormously helpful to me in trying to think through these issues.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us