The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/well-there-you-go-thanks-rrosenkoetter-i-did-the-23377421.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Plan - Which Way To Go? Date:  12/3/2005  7:52 AM
Author:  goodnewsonly Number:  48589 of 96097

Well there you go. Thanks rrosenkoetter. I did the calculation you provided. I would need to replace $2,000/month for the survivor annuity, which would be $24,000/year, which would be $600,000 in insurance. More if it was for 30 years. Right now, we have the maximum under the federal program (which is less than $600,000) and the rates for that will increase considerably every five years. We can only convert to a whole life policy when DH retires because he would not pass a medical exam. So I guess I should forget about the insurance vs. annuity idea.

Maybe we don't even need the life insurance or maybe we could reduce what we have, both now and in retirement. That's another question I will add to my list. I'll also go check out the Insurance Board.

I believe I can speak for the community that we hope you feel you are receiving more value than the yearly subscription charged for access to these discussion boards (coincidentally, the reason why I continue to subscribe).

Absolutely, without question. I am so glad I found these boards!

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us