The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/then-transfer-the-funds-lots-of-companies-23384483.aspx

Subject:  Re: IRA considerations Date:  12/5/2005  1:34 PM
Author:  Watty56 Number:  48633 of 101508

....then transfer the funds....

Lots of companies now charge a transfer fee of $50 or more to close an IRA and transfer it to another company. It might just be best to pick who you want be with long term even if there are a few fees the first couple of years. Some of the companies may also look at other accounts that you have with them so if you have your emergency fund in a money market account at the same place, you may be able to avoid some fees.

I have also heard some grumbling about Vanguards customer service having gone downhill and when I was trying to open an account with them I had a question about how to endorse a check I had received that was made out to me(not a third party check). After talking with a supervisor, the best answer that I could get was to just send them the check and if their processing department didn't like how I had endorsed it, they would just mail it back to me. (What would I do with a check endorsed to Vanguard?) Thanks, but no thanks; I opened an account with Fidelity with that check.

Greg

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us