The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Ask A Foolish Question


Subject:  need help with a mess Date:  12/10/2005  12:43 PM
Author:  virvid Number:  225070 of 278813

don't know if this is the right board or not..We owned a house and our adult kids moved in. They were to buy the house for a nominal amount and put the mortgage in their name. IT never happened. The market went sky high 6 years later & we offered them rock bottom price. At this point they said we gave them the house & they wanted all of the equity. They ended up moving, we sold the house, and gave them $40,000. cash which they want tax free. WE now are looking at capital gains since we didn't live there for 2 of last 5 years. The property was in our name and it really wasn't a rental ( maybe it was!)and it was less than a mile from our home so it wasn't a second home. It remained in our name. Do we send the kids a 1099? Any ideas how to avoid all of the capital gains? Kids not speaking to us now! We didn't feel we could quit claim it to them as they were angry with us. Any ideas? Thank-you.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us