The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Buying and Maintaining a Car

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/questions-about-purchasing-a-used-vehicle-23629078.aspx

Subject:  Questions about purchasing a used vehicle Date:  1/30/2006  8:08 AM
Author:  cattleman22 Number:  46613 of 73760

My wife and I are considering replacing my 1991 Chevy Lumina. For the past year we have been watching prices for the type of vehicle we are interested in. We have done this by checking online (KBB, edmund's and car selling websites), in the weekend paper, and in auto trader magazines. We think we have a decent idea for what the vehicle should cost. Anyway, we found a decent priced vehicle that met our specs online, corresponded with the online department at that dealer and then went to the dealer.

We got the stereotypical used car salesman. He wanted to talk all of the time, did not answer our questions to our satisfaction, tried to rush us inside to talk negotiate, wanted to know how much our monthly payment would be, etc. He also did not seem to know anything about the vehicle. I asked about any service that was done to the vehicle, wether it was a local trade-in, and how to get the jack out of the compartment. He did not know and did not seem interested in finding it for us.

Here is list Of questions I have about this.

1. Is it possible to ask for a new salesman to deal with? Or do we just not go back to that particular dealer?

2. The internet price was $2000 less than the window sticker price. Will the dealer still negotiate the interent price down some?

3. There were a few cosmetic defects, is it reasonable for me to ask them to fix them before I come back for a test drive?

4. We were going to take a test drive this weekend, but the form the salesman brought back for us to sign required that we have both collision and liability insurance. We only carry liability as our cars are worth so little. I called my insurance company and for $50 per 6 months, they can add collision coverage. Is it typical for a dealer to require test drivers to have collision insurance?

c
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us