The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Buying and Maintaining a Car

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/3-there-were-a-few-cosmetic-defects-is-it-23630547.aspx

Subject:  Re: Questions about purchasing a used vehicle Date:  1/30/2006  12:59 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  46629 of 73760

3. There were a few cosmetic defects, is it reasonable for me to ask them to fix them before I come back for a test drive?

For a test drive, no. That is not reasonable.

But it is very reasonable to have them fixed as a condition of your purchasing the vehicle. The alternative would be to offer a lower price for the car. It's also reasonable to ask if the items are something the dealer will consider fixing as a part of the deal.

If these are important items to you, I would not buy the car without the items being fixed. Lots of times the dealer will ask you to buy the car and give you an IOU for the repair items. The problem is that you have no idea what the quality of the repair will be. That's not too much of a concern over supplying missing items (like your cigarette lighter), but it's more of a concern over things like paint scratches or mechanical repairs. Sometimes you won't know if a paint scratch will buff out or require repainting the whole panel until you try the buffing.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us