The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Buying and Maintaining a Car


Subject:  Re: Do I need full coverage? Date:  2/21/2006  1:02 AM
Author:  NoIDAtAll Number:  47019 of 74245

Consider this scenario (as it falls strictly into the context of my orginal post): You have a car valued at $5000 according to You have $5000 in the bank. A tree falls on your car and totals it. The insurance company pays out $3000. You now have $8000 in the bank. You buy another car for $5000, leaving $3000 in the bank. The insurance premium of $750 is coincidentally due, which is now $900 because of your recent claim. You now have $2100 in the bank. $1200 in rent is due. You now have $900 in the bank. Three days later your company suddenly lays you off. Your CPA sends the $500 income tax service bill. $900 in other bills are knocking at the door. Unemployment insurance is paying $2000/mo. You're barely surviving until you find a job. Also, you're wife's birthday is one week away.

To recap:
$5000 - to start
+ $3000 - insurance claim
= $8000
- $900 - new insurance premium due
- $1200 - rent due
= $900
($1400 in additional bills are due)

Your scenario is faulty - Comprehensive claims are rarely surcharged. By contrast, unless a Collision loss falls under finite circumstances that can be verified, they, generally, are surcharged. Comprehensive coverage is a far less expensive coverage than Collision.

You didn't mention where you live and your profile doesn't show it - In some States you can buy Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage, at a relatively nominal premium - In essence, this coverage can help to reduce your risk of loss to the insured vehicle from a collision to negligent accidents, or accidents in which you are unable to identify or prove the other party negligent. Additionally, a number of States require that insurers get their nose out of the Blue book, identify a comparable replacement vehicle and put up or shut up. You also didn't specify the deductible amount, other than "the highest" offered by your insurer.

Plus, as GADawg commented, you ventured into a tangent - Rent due is tangential.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us