The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Buying and Maintaining a Car


Subject:  Re: Do I need full coverage? Date:  2/23/2006  5:06 PM
Author:  NoIDAtAll Number:  47121 of 74245

Uninsured Motorists usually has a deductible on its Property Damage component. This is considered a liability coverage.

Actually, though it's generally sold only in conjunction with Liability coverage and pays what an uninsured negligent 3rd party would be legally liabile to pay an insured for accident damage to their insured auto, UMPD is more of a Physical Damager coverage that's often bought in lieu of Collision coverge. It's not a Liability coverage because it defends neither the insured nor the negligent 3rd party and insurers retain subjogation rights against the negligent unsinsured motorist for amounts paid under this coverage.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us