The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Paying Back Student Loans

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/greetings-all-though-i-have-paid-off-my-student-23894164.aspx

Subject:  Re: Warning! Do your 2-step consolidation now! Date:  3/27/2006  11:38 PM
Author:  xraymd Number:  4154 of 4854

Greetings, all, though I have paid off my student loans nearly 9 months ago (actually I transferred them to a 0% credit card and am paying THAT off), I will chime in to say this: despite the LOOMING DEADLINE of 3/31/06 (that's this Friday, folks!), I have in the past found the Dept of Education remarkably responsive to even 11th hour efforts to consolidate. So if the single holder rule threatens to bite you, why not ask the DoE about starting the consolidation process before the deadline? Their number is (800) 848-0979 and to my recollection, I needed only to have submitted the application (online, even) prior to any deadline to qualify for timely consolidation - not having to COMPLETE the application. So all is not lost and your wallet will thank you over the next 10-30 years. What are you waiting for! The website is www.dl.ed.gov as an alternative way of looking things over, but I would personally call and ask to speak to a supervisor to make sure you are getting consolidation facts and steps straight.

xraymd
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us