The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/jim2b-to-help-get-through-these-times-youll-23913591.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement draw-down, what am i missing? Date:  3/31/2006  3:19 PM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  927 of 1905

Jim2B;;

To help get through these times, you'll want your retirement funds to provide more than the minimum of what you need. Re-invest the excess to continue building up your networth and insulate yourself from these unfortunate but expected occurances.

I appreciate the advice, which is pretty much the straight party line, of course.

A question for you: Just how does one "insulate" against "unforunate but expected occurrences"? I know of nothing that is "safe" except maybe CD's at the bank or sticking my money under a mattress or in a safe deposit box.

The way I do it is to maintain a balanced portfolio, as I said, with most in good mutual funds (which I also check and change periodically, though not very often), plus some equities that I shepherd carefully, sometimes buying and selling some of those from day to day. In other words, I try to have SOME "insulation", but I also work at making a buck wherever I can to keep the boodle growing.

We all have to do what works for us.

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us