The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-was-just-wondering-how-much-you-think-is-a-24052622.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement question about the tax cuts Date:  5/2/2006  11:54 PM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  10496 of 21396

I was just wondering how much you think is a reasonable amount on which to live when you are retired. How much do you expect to live on each year?

Of course you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

I was just wondering... not judging.

AM

AM, why a reasonable amount and not an unreasonable amount? I didn't plan my retirement on what I could get away with on a survival level but one that I could do 'things' outside of 'reasonable'. Ain't that better than a 'reasonable' amount?

I know that you love being on your porch watching the boats on Puget Sound. That you can do so is 'unreasonable' to those who don't have the means you do. So where do we define a reasonable amount for retirement when everyone's needs on retirement are different?

I like salmon fishing and can afford it so I do just that. My investments are such that I don't have a mortgage or any debt at all. I fart through silk.

Washington state wines are so of the best available and I am stocking my cellar with them (AM, you must try Columbia Crest) but I buy wines because I can.

What I believe is that retirement should be unreasonable. To have enough in the kitty to do things you couldn't do when you were working, slaving and saving – not continuance.

When I pass on I want my will to read, “Being of sound mind I spent all I could.”

MichaelR

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us