The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/bordlyron-thanks-its-nice-that-it-works-for-24087711.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tax efficient investing for early retirement Date:  5/10/2006  11:53 PM
Author:  madbrain Number:  51718 of 90479

BordLyron,

Thanks. It's nice that it works for you. But individual stocks are just a lot of worry for me, as I have said before. And buying those 3 newsletters would seem to be a pretty big cost, and hard to offset, especially when just opening an account with little money initially. For the first year if I invest 12000 (best case), that's almost $600 in newsletters or 5%.

How many picks a month do they make anyway ? And do they recommend relative amounts to invest in each ? And how long are their holding periods ? I see the ad for "hidden gems" for examples makes a claim of a 38% return, but is very short in details. 65 picks over 3 years in a small account seems like a large number - the transaction fees would be high, and the share numbers and profits low. And was the return accomplished by investing equally in all the picks over that 3 year periods, or just a select few and varied amounts ? If the newsletter is anything like this ad, I'll pass.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us