The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Imp This Ride

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/there-is-nothing-remotely-unethical-about-filling-24089520.aspx

Subject:  Re: Today's Topic Date:  5/11/2006  11:50 AM
Author:  TeraGram Number:  3547 of 40286

There is nothing remotely unethical about filling any legitimate prescription.

Wrong.

Let us say that I have prescription for Drug A and I have to go to a different doctor for another issue and for whatever reason, that doctor gives me a scrip for Drug B.

Let us imagine I go to the same pharmacy that I use to fill Drug A every month. The pharmacist looks at his computer and discovers that Drug A and Drug B taken together are deadly.

The pharmacist approaches me and informs me of his discovery. Being in a hurry, tired, an antsy five year old at my side and generally bitchy, I tell him "yeah whatever... I'm sure my doctor knows what he's doing, give me the pills".

In this instance the pharmacist does have the ethical obligation to withhold the prescription. I believe dispensing this drug would open the pharmacist to negligence charges (though I could be wrong).

Granted this is completely different than "personal religious reasons", but it is a counterpoint to your statement above.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us