The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/jason-writes-8221ps-i-think-the-rape-issue-24311488.aspx

Subject:  Re: Brokers, Cribbage, & Mosquitoes Date:  7/6/2006  4:18 PM
Author:  imdajunkman Number:  17405 of 36670

Jason writes:
”P.S. I think the rape issue is a tad technical, but I will give that one to you. It may be rather harsh language for the topic at hand. :-)”

Jason,

Using the term “rape” as a metaphor to describe the financial misconduct of brokers was both inaccurate and inappropriate.

Rape, as an officially-denied but nonetheless keystone policy of the US government through such agencies as the School of the Americas and its “counter-insurgency” efforts in Latin America, through the CIA’s gulag of prisons in the Third World, and through the US military’s management of Abu Gharib/Gitmo/etc, is another matter. There the rapes are real.

All of that having been said, I dislike brokers generally, and I dislike “language police” specifically. But we live in Orwellian times, and insisting on accuracy of reporting is the only moral weapon that decent people –-which I presume you to be-- have left to them. So bash brokers all you want to for their plenteous examples of abusive conduct, but make a distinction between losing a very impersonal object like money and suffering the very personal violence of rape.

Charlie

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us