The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/buying-textbooks-online-24337553.aspx

Subject:  Buying textbooks online Date:  7/13/2006  10:42 AM
Author:  bthomas15 Number:  6714 of 8536

DD will be attending a small midwestern college in the fall - so small that they don't even have a bookstore. Textbooks must be obtained somewhere else, and the 'recommended' company is MBS Direct.

So I go to the college's website and print off the required textbooks, but I am reluctant to order them yet. For one thing, I have found some of them cheaper on Amazon, and much much cheaper for used versions. Same editions, as far as I can tell.

The other thing is - remembering from my college days, often the syllabus would list books that, while useful, weren't really required. So I would wait until I was sure I needed those books to buy them. In DD's case though, she can't just go to the bookstore when she needs a book.

MBS Direct does guarantee the right course materials, though, and that is a big plus. I'm thinking of buying the math book from them, just to be sure, and getting the others somewhere else.

Has anyone else gone through this?

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us