The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Jewish and Foolish

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/it-is-good-to-see-that-people-appreciate-the-24739528.aspx

Subject:  Re: Jewish War Veterans Date:  10/25/2006  9:41 AM
Author:  TVKFool Number:  11220 of 22949

It is good to see that people appreciate the memories that parents and grandparents pass on to their kids. Always remember them and pass them on to your kids, for they will feel it missing if you don't.

Personally my family was over in Europe and Russia when the war broke out. Nobody of that generation talks much about what happened, and I get bits and pieces here and there, usually on may 9th (victory day).

From what I gathered so far my grandfather's family were all gathered in a ghetto in Poland. The only ones to escape were the older girls in the family who were serving in the army (god bless the military that saved them). My grandfather was too young to serve. At the age of 15 all the jews were rounded up and shot. He faked being shot and spent the night on a pile of corpses. Later on (i'm not sure how much) he and his wounded older brother were picked up by the russian underground where they served out the rest of the war.
My grandmothers brother also served in russian military, while being engaged to what I understand was a nice jewish girl. He was captured and was a POW for a while, but somehow he escaped and started sending my grandma and his fiancee letters as he made it towards Moscow. The last letter came from just outside of Moscow, and that was the last anyone heard of him. When I was little I used to pretend that the fire for the unidentified soldier just outside of Red Square was my great uncle. It probably isn't, but that fire is for him too. For all of those that didn't come home.

-TVK
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us