The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Jewish and Foolish

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/we-noticed-a-young-jewish-guy-that-wasnt-me-24751214.aspx

Subject:  Re: Curious challenge to Venice eruv Date:  10/27/2006  3:01 PM
Author:  dovbaer6 Number:  11305 of 23055

we noticed a young Jewish guy...

That wasn't me. Even though I wasn't yet frum, I would never have said kaddish for JG because:
#1: He wasn't one of the 7 relations for whom we say kaddish (mother, father, spouse, brother, sister, son, daughter), and
#2: Kaddish requires a minyan.

===================

There are some congregations where people will stand and say Kaddish for total strangers

and

as far as the minyan requirement, there were at least 2000 folks in that square that night ...

and I have seen people at Dead shows wearing yarmulke and tallis, and more than one time seeing young guys moving to the music in a way that looked distinctly like davening, lol. cute.

good article, I remember reading a few articles written by Rabbis and other Jewish people about the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia after Jerry died.

Did you ever see/hear Grisman perform? Great great music. I saw his quintet one night about 7 years ago and Andy Statman sat in for over half the show and these guys jammed like you would expect to hear in a celestial orchestra, with bluegrass, jazz, klezmer, chasid, and other thematic sounding stuff in an amazing improvisational brew. wish I had a copy of that show ... it was in Newburyport in 1999.

dv
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us